Getting Help from Government & Local Services for Elderly Care

For the 5.4 million people who provide unpaid care for a friend or family member1, which can involve anything from dementia care, to close personal care (for those unable to bathe or toilet themselves), and everything in-between – getting help from your local authority or NHS trust can be confusing at best, and soul-destroying at worst! This article will give you some useful information about what services are available to you, and those you may be caring for.

Financial Support for the Elderly

Across the UK there are thousands of accessible grants and financial schemes available to help the elderly and disabled maintain a good quality of life, as well as ensuring that they continue to have access to equipment designed to enable them to retain some degree of mobility and independence. Examples include:

  • Repairs and/or essential maintenance to your home to make it more accessible
  • Repairing and/or replacing essential white goods, such as washing machines and a boiler with more user-friendly models.
  • Helping with the cost of moving home, as well as adapting the new home (or your existing one) to better suit your needs – such as wheelchair ramps or a disabled toilet and shower room.
  • Help with living costs that cannot be met effectively by benefit payments.

In addition to this, you could see if there is a dedicated charity for any of the conditions you or your loved ones are suffering from. Examples might include Dementia UK, Macmillan Cancer Support, the Multiple Sclerosis Society and the Alzheimer’s Society.

You could also contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau, who can act as a gateway to further support from either your local council, the NHS or HM Government.

In a financial emergency situation – and if you have been in receipt of Income Support, Pension Credit, Jobseeker’s Allowance or the Employment and Support Allowance for at least six consecutive months,  you can apply for a Budgeting Loan from HM Government.

Care and Support for the Elderly

If as a carer you need further support, or simply do not have the time or specialist skills needed to give your loved ones the care they need and deserve, it might be time to solicit help at home from a carer who can visit your loved one regularly. Council appointed care workers can provide meals-on-wheels, one-to-one care, free transport, help with modifications to your home and provide you with disability equipment.

NOTE: Some of these schemes are means-tested, and eligibility criteria are likely to vary between counties and boroughs. You can find out more from the Money Advice Service.


Finally, there is always the option of moving into a Care Home which is able to meet the individual needs you or your loved ones have.

Paxton Hall Care Home, situated in St Neots, Cambridgeshire, has been providing care for the elderly for more than 30 years; it prides itself on its highly trained, warm and caring staff who make every effort to make Paxton Hall a very happy home from home for all the residents.

Paxton Hall Care Home also provides Respite Care for those recovering from hospitalisation or those whose carers feel they need a break to regain their energy  and/or time to attend to their own personal matters  , specialists in caring for the elderly can offer specialist care for those wishing to make the most of their golden years, as well as provide respite care in Cambridge for unpaid carers who need some time to attend to their own lives. Find out more



[1] | Retrieved 15/10/19